Sunday, January 8, 2012

Treasure Troves and Used Bookstores

A visit to Half Price Books for me means a commitment of at least an hour of time and twenty dollars from my pocket book, though usually my bill is much higher. For those of you who have never experienced the wonder which is called Half Price Books, let me give you something to think about: Half Price Books is exactly what it sounds like, it is a used bookstore chain where customers can come and sell back old books and buy books at half the publishers price - or less! It is a treasure trove for amazing finds, and most of my bookshelf comes from this gold mine.

Last night, after work, I decided spur of the moment to swing by Half Price Books and check out their selection, which always is something new and surprising. I found two gems today: a copy of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald ($5.99, not a personal best but the copy is immaculate and the cover art is GORGEOUS) and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller ($.48 - yup, only forty-eight cents, which is my personal best ever). In total, my trip only put me back a little less than seven dollars, which may be a first.

Can't wait to read these classics, they won't be sitting on the shelf for long!

Do you have a Half Price Books near you? Have you ever checked out a used bookstore? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment