Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Packing and Book Addictions Do Not Mix

Well, I think that I've finally come to a decision on what books I will be bringing with me to my internship... Looking at all the titles I've selected (about 30-35% of my book collection), I still think that I'm not bringing enough, but on the other hand, I feel like I'm bringing too much! I have no idea where my head'll be in the next four months and I don't want to be left without something I feel like reading. My mother promised that she'd be willing to send me books, but I still want a good basis so that's only a last resort. Oh, and I'm bringing my Kindle so, in all reality, I have endless books, just in case. I may cut a few out of this list, but this is the tentative list right now:
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
  • A Separate Peace by John Knowles
  • All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • All You Who Sleep Tonight by Vikram Seth
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Dead Souls by Nicolai Gogol
  • Elephant Rocks by Kay Ryan
  • Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  • Loose Woman by Sandra Cisneros
  • No Exit and Three Other Plays by Jean Paul Sartre
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  • One Act: Eleven Short Plays of the Modern Theatre edited by Samuel Moon
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kessey
  • On the Blanket: The Inside Story of the IRA Prisoners’ “Dirty” Protest by Tim Pat Coogan
  • On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  • Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  • Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Kolosterman
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  • The Awakening by Kate Chopin
  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  • The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
  • The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
  • Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed with our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch
  • Writings from Prison by Bobby Sands
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 
Some data: 

Genre: Poetry - 5
Genre: Classic Lit (Novel) - 26
Genre: Nonfiction - 3
Genre: Drama - 3
Genre: Combination - 1

Male Author - 32
Female Author - 6

I picked a good assortment of long and short novels, drama, nonfiction, poetry and a combination piece (short story, memoir, poetry). I think it will be more than enough to keep me entertained during the coming months, and I feel that I will end up nixing a few from my list, but I guess we'll see where it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment