Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Quick Review: Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes

This was the quickest read I've read so far - and I loved this collection of poetry! I love Sylvia Plath, and she's always fascinated me, so getting to read about her from someone else's point of view has been interesting. Especially because Ted Hughes, who was married to Plath, got to see and experience a more private view of her life. The poems I enjoyed in particular were: "Visit", "St Botoloph's", "Your Paris", "You Hated Spain", "Aprehensions", "Perfect Light", and "Totem". I definitely enjoyed this collection, and would recommend it to a friend. Especially if that friend has read Plath before, but that is not a requirement to enjoying "Birthday Letters". 


A little information about my copy of Birthday Letters:

Pages: 198
Original date of publication: 1998
My edition: 1998 (Farrar, Straus, Giroux)
Why I decided to read: I love Sylvia Plath, was interested in learning more about her as a person and writer and was definitely in a poetry mood. 
How I acquired my copy: Half Price Books in my hometown; January 18, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment